Monday, October 10, 2011

Broken Leg Stitching

Yup, it's been a while since I posted. I'll try to get some of my finishes for the last year up. But the current news is that I broke my ankle on October 1.

I'd love to report that I broke it by doing something cool, like outrunning a mountain lion or jumping over a stream while back country hiking. But I broke it by slipping in the shower. Fully clothed. With shoes on. And the water was not running.

See, our shower is leaking into the kitchen ceiling below so we have to have it rebuilt. That means we have options to change the bathroom. I was measuring the tub-shower spaces and when I stepped into the shower, I skidded on the non-skid mat. In my defense, the tiles are VERY slippery (hence the mat), the mat is weirdly soft, and the tiles under the mat were still wet. The irony is that if I'd been barefoot I might have felt the moisture and been more careful. Anyway, I ended up with both my tibia and fibula broken. Surgery to pin everything is scheduled for tomorrow morning. In the meantime I'm watching a lot of television and doing a lot of stitching.

I'm nearly done with Ghoul School from Glendon Place. The stitched area is about 11 inches square. I've used DMC for everything except the moon, which is stitched in Caron Waterlilies silk. I'm stitching one line at a time so I get the right color mix from the overdyed color. I also added Kreinik glow-in-the-dark to the two ghosts. I thought about adding a yellow glow-in-the-dark to the moon, but I don't want to mess up the silk texture. I may add some glowing "highlights" to the moon when it's done. You can't really see the characters much, but they're missing their heads! They're actually buttons that will be added when everything is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment